Have you ever tried to go for a sprint to catch the bus in the morning or did your daily run, only to find out that your shins ache? The most likely cause of such pain is shin splints.
Shin splints happen when you experience pain in the front section of your lower leg. It is a common problem experienced by athletes especially runners, dancers, and military recruits. The pain that comes with shin splints is generally due to inflammation of the bone tissue around the skin area or the muscles.
Shin splints are referred to as medial tibia stress syndrome by the medical professionals. Even though the causes of this problem can be varied, it is likely for you to experience it if:
- You wear shoes that don’t fit or provide good support
- Start a rigorous workout without first doing some warm-up or cool down stretches
- Over pronation, or when you are flat feet and the impact of a step makes the arch of your foot to collapse.
- You are suffering from weak hips, ankles, or sore muscles
Solving Shin Splints Using Compression Sleeves
Compression sleeves, which are also referred to as compression socks, offer your legs graduated compression. This means that compression is higher or tighter around the foot or ankle and becomes lesser so as it moves up the calf. The sleeves help in fighting the effects of gravity and also assist in improving the flow of deoxygenated blood back to the heart (venous return).
Recent studies show that arterial blood flow can increase up to 40% during physical activity and up to 30% during recovery when one uses compression sleeves.
Also read: 5 Best Compression Sleeves for Your Thighs
Compression sleeves help constrict the walls of your veins which then enhances the velocity of blood flow through the veins. Deoxygenated blood and lactic acid will get back to the heart faster and this helps at increasing the rate of recovery and decreasing muscle soreness.
The sleeves also help at reducing muscular vibration which then makes you less tired.
Top Five Compression Sleeves for Shin Splints
Bauerfeind Sports Compression Lower Leg Sleeves
They are considered to be some of the best compression sleeves in the market today because they support the lower leg muscles really well. They are also popular because they increase the supply of oxygen to the tissues hence improving athletic performance. They are loved because:
- It allows the skin around the lower leg and calf muscles to stay cool and comfortable even as it promotes proper blood circulation
- It has an extra-wide edging band
- It has a washable and breathable fabric
- It is durable and of high-quality
- It comes with a great fit and offers high compression level
- It comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee
Calf Compression Sleeve from Run Forever Sports
This is another popular pair of compression sleeves. Many people who have bought these sleeves say how comfortable they are. Some of the features that make them popular include the following:
- They are made of breathable material
- They easily help increase the flow of blood throughout the leg muscles
- They offer 15-20mmHg compression which helps at improving your performance as well as alleviating pain
- The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee
- They don’t cause calf uffin tops
Calf Compression Sleeves from BeVisible Sports
The manufacturer of these compression sleeves has used nylon and spandex to make them. The sleeves are ideal at reducing muscle soreness, especially after workouts. Some of the key features include:
- Being scientifically designed, tested and woven to have a 14-23 mmHg true graduated compression, making it perfect for all athletics, ball sports or even everyday use
- Aiding in the relief of shin splints as well as preventing varicose veins and calf cramps
- Being available in three different sizes and five different colors
- Being suitable for wearing all day
- A 3-month satisfaction guarantee
You might be interested: 5 of the Best Knee Sleeves for Running
Calf Compression Sleeves from Camden Gear
These compression sleeves offer high relief to aching shins while at the same time preventing further injury. They provide graduated compression hence the healing process is hastened and muscular fatigue is reduced. They have been made using Lycra and spandex. Other features include:
- True graduated compression, starting at 25mmHg at the top of the sleeve and progressing to 20mmHg to the bottom of the sleeves
- Being perfect as both an active and recovery sleeve – you can use this while running to reduce muscle vibration or you can use this for recovery, to help promote proper blood circulation
- Made using soft fabric which makes them breathable and easy to clean
- Manufacturer backs it with a 3-month satisfaction guarantee
Graduated Compression Sleeves from Thirty48
These compression sleeves are ideal for cycling, running, and other athletic-related activities. They are popular because they offer graduated compression. They can be worn during all stages of activity including cool down and warm-up. Unique features include:
- Made using CatalystAF technology
- Enable airflow through the stitching
- Made using Coolmax fabric which keeps your legs cool and dry
- Available in moderate and high levels of compression
- Comes with a 3-month satisfaction guarantee
If you have any requests or questions, feel free to visit the contact page.
Matts PRs can be found on the about page http://www.rxdsleeves.com/about/